Black Sesame Soup 黑芝麻糊
Black sesame soup (sweet soup also known as tong shui 糖水) is one of the common traditional Chinese desserts in East-Asian countries. Black sesame is considered to be healthy especially for hair and maintain supple skin (read benefits from here). There are a few ways to make this black sesame sweet soup and you can easily find the recipes online. Some use glutinous rice where you need to soak it overnight or cooked rice to make the sweet soup creamy and smooth. The black sesame seeds need to be toasted before grinding till fine but some use black sesame powder in order to save time to make this dessert.
I was craving for a bowl of black sesame soup recently and I used an easy method to make this earthy sweet soup with glutinous rice flour to make 2 bowls just perfect for 2. Some toasted walnuts were added to blend together with the toasted black sesame seeds to give a nutty fragrance after boiling. Just bear in mind, do not add water all at once because in this way you can control the consistency of the thick soup you want to achieve.
Black Sesame Soup
- 100 g black sesasme seeds
- 45 g walnuts - toasted, break into pieces
- 3 tbsp glutinous rice flour
- 1000 ml water
- 40 g rock sugar - or caster sugar
- Rinse black sesame seeds thoroughly and drain well. Pour black sesame seeds on a dry frying pan and keep stirring it at medium low heat until fragrant for about 7-8 minutes. Cool down the black sesame seeds.
- Pour the black sesame seeds and walnuts into the blender and grind to grainy for a few seconds. Add about 200ml into the blender and continue to blend the mixtures for another few seconds like thick paste. Add another 300ml water into it and blend the mixture as fine as possible.
- Pour black sesame mixture into the dry frying pan again. Add 200ml of water into the mixture and 3 tablespoons of glutinous rice flour over it. Keep stirring under medium low heat until mixture almost thickened and lastly pour in 300ml of water. Keep stirring the black sesame mixture for about another 3 minutes until lightly boil. Off heat.
- Then press black sesame liquid mixture through a strainer to extract as much liquid as possible. Turn on medium low heat again and boil the black sesame soup and add rock sugar to taste, stir well. Serve hot immediately. Add more water if you find the soup is too thick.
- 100克 黑芝麻
- 45克 核桃，烤香 （可不放）
- 3 汤匙 糯米粉
- 1000毫升 水
- 40克 冰糖或白糖
wow I want this for my dessert! So nutritious and yum, Ann.