Char Kway Teow or Fried Kway Teow (炒粿条) is one of my favourite local hawker delights (one of the most popular dishes in Malaysia and Singapore). The actual Char Kway Teow is the thin flat rice noodles mixed with little yellow noodles. It is usually stir-fried with Chinese sausage, bean sprouts, fish cake, eggs, cockles and lard to make it delicious, fragrant and decadent! You’ll need to stir-fry the kway teow on high heat all the way through and that be done quickly within 10 minutes, and ready to serve on the table
Being health conscious, I didn’t use either lard or cockles in my recipe, only a few simple seasoning that are readily available in a Chinese family kitchen. It is easy to fry fresh kway teow when it’s soft and not those refrigerated ones, as they are dry and can break up easily. The end result of my version is tasty and delicious to my liking. I didn’t add too much black sweet sauce in the kway teow but you may do so if you prefer.
Char Kway Teow
- 400 g kway teow - flat rice noodles
- 1 tbsp garlic - chopped
- 1 Chinese sausage - sliced
- 6 prawns - cleaned and deveined
- 100 g bean sprouts
- 1 piece fish cake - sliced (100g/3.53oz)
- 2 beaten eggs - with 1 tsp light soy sauce and some pepper
- 2 stalks spring onion - cut to 2 inch length
- 1.5 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp black sweet sauce - or kecap manis
- Heat up frying pan with 1 tablespoon of oil, fry chopped garlic, Chinese sausage and the white part of spring onion for about 30 seconds.
- Then add in prawns, continue to stir fry till prawns almost cooked. Then drop in the kway teow and the seasoning, toss well quickly until colour is even.
- Add bean sprouts and fish cake, toss mixture well again. Then push the kway teow to one side of the frying pan, add a little oil and pour in beaten eggs, leave it for 30 seconds. Then give the beaten eggs a quick stir and mix well together with the kway teow.
- Lastly add spring onion, toss well and serve immediately with sambal chilli.
- 400克 粿条
- 1汤匙 蒜蓉
- 1条 腊肠，切片
- 6只 虾，洗净肠取出
- 100克 豆芽
- 1块 鱼饼，切片 （约100克）
- 2个 鸡蛋，打撒+1茶匙酱请和少许胡椒粉
- 2条 青葱，切断，约2寸长
- 1.5汤匙 黑酱油
- 1汤匙 酱请
- 2茶匙 鱼露
- 1汤匙 黑甜酱或适量