Chinese Cold Cake (liang gao 凉糕) originated in Yibin, Sichuan is a traditional specialty snack, served cold in Summer. This healthy Chinese cold cake is usually made into crystal white, just water, sugar and glutinous flour but you can have your own choice of creations to make with watermelon, cucumber, red dates, etc. The process of making cold cake is easy-peasy. I made it with pear and red apples. Just blend them into juices and strain. Then boil it together with sugar and cornstarch for a few minutes to thicken. Leave the jelly to cool and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving. This Chinese cold cake is so refreshing and smooth, fragrant and soft that almost melts in your mouth in seconds.
If you’re new to my blog and would like to receive new post update and never miss a recipe, please subscribe with your email address at follow.it (the subscribe box is at the sidebar or click at the following >> Anncoo Journal below the recipe). ~~ Thank you!
Chinese Cold Cake
- 1 large Chinese pear, about 480g - plus 100ml water
- 4-5 red apples, about 480g - plus 150ml water
- 50 g caster sugar
- 40 g cornstarch
- desiccated coconut - optional
- Peel and core pear, and chop to small pieces. Place inside the blender with 100ml water and blend to fine. Then sieve and strain out 500ml pear juice and place into a pot, set aside.
- Peel and core apples and chop to small pieces. Place inside the blender with 150ml water and blend to fine. Then sieve and strain out 500ml juice and pour into the same pot of pear juice.
- Stir in sugar and cornstarch. Then on medium heat, keep stirring liquid to thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour into a 5 or 6 inches lined square pan and leave to cool and cover with cling wrap. Then place inside the refrigerator to chill for a few hours. Slice cold cake into required sizes with desiccated coconut sprinkled on top. Enjoy!
- 1粒 雪梨，约500克 + 100毫升水
- 4-5颗 红苹果，约500克 + 150毫升水
- 50克 细砂糖
- 40克 玉米淀粉
- 干椰丝，适量 （可不放）