Chinese Pearl Meatballs 珍珠丸子
Chinese Pearl Meatballs are actually steamed pork balls covered with glutinous rice (sticky rice). It is a popular dish which originated from Hubei, China and is mostly served at Chinese banquet and reunion dinner. The name ‘Pearl Meatball’ comes from the translucent glutinous rice and the shape of the meatballs looks like a pearl after steaming.
These tasty luscious meatballs are tender with only carrot and spring onion added in the pork meat and marinated with simple seasoning. You can also add some shitake mushrooms or fresh water chestnuts if you wish. It’s very easy to prepare the ingredients in a short time except that you need to presoak the glutinous rice in order to steam it till soft and translucent. You can steam these Chinese Pearl Meatballs and serve them immediately as a dim sum snack or store them in the freezer and steam them again (10-15 minutes) as and when you like or when there are guests at home.
Chinese Pearl Meatballs
- 150 g glutinous rice
- 300 g minced pork - with fat
- 1-2 stalks spring onion - cut finely
- 35 g carrot - cut finely or grated
- 1 tbsp ginger - grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 3/4 tbsp corn flour (starch)
- dash of pepper
- Soak glutinous rice in water for 2 hours. Rinse and drain, place onto a platter.
- Mix minced pork with seasoning then add spring onion, carrot and grated ginger, mix well. Cover with cling wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or longer. **You can also add some shitake mushrooms or fresh water chestnuts if you wish**
- Scoop out some minced pork with a spoon and roll it into ball (about 25g each) and coat in the glutinous rice. Gently press more glutinous rice on the meat ball by hand for even coating.
- Line a piece of parchment paper (or lettuce) in the steamer. Arrange the meat balls on top.
- Steam at high heat under boiling water for 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
- 150克 糯米
- 300克 五花肉碎（绞肉）
- 1-2 根 青葱，切细
- 35克 红萝卜，切细或磨细
- 1 汤匙 姜末
- 1/2茶匙 盐
- 1茶匙 白糖
- 1茶匙 酱请
- 1/2汤匙 耗油
- 1/2汤匙 麻油
- 1/2汤匙 米酒
- 3/4汤匙 玉米淀粉
- 用汤匙舀出适量肉馅，搓成肉丸子 （约25克一粒），在糯米上滚动，沾上糯米粒。然后用手稍微按一按肉球，让糯米粒完全沾上就可以了。
Haven’t seen these before, they do look cute and am sure they’re delicious! Great shots!
Love this idea of coating the meatballs with rice. bet it was very crunchy.
How delicious! I haven’t had those meatballs in ages…gotta make a batch soon too.