I found Crumbliest Scones when a member of the Facebook baking group asked me for a recipe. To be honest, I’ve never heard of this name before so I did a Google search and found that this recipe was actually created by Jamie Oliver. I followed the recipe to a T (with some minor changes) as it is easy and straightforward. I love the end result especially when the scones come out of the oven. They are light and crumbly with a hint of orange fragrance as I had grated some orange zest into the flour before mixing it into a dough. The scones are best served with clotted cream and jam with English tea.
- 60 g dried cranberries - (can use other dried fruit - apricots, blueberries or raisins)
- orange juice for soaking
- 75 g cold butter
- 250 g selif-raising flour - I used 250g plain flour + 3.5 tsp baking powder - sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon raw sugar - 15g or caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- orange zest from 1 orange
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 beaten egg for brushing
- Put the dried fruit into a bowl and pour over just enough orange juice to cover and set aside for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200 deg C. Drain your soaked fruit (I used dried cranberries and cut into small pieces)
- Put butter, flour, baking powder, sugar, orange zest and 1/4 tsp salt into a mixing bowl and rub the butter and flour mixture together till crumbly.
- Add in egg and milk, and stir it up with a spatula. Add cranberries to the mixture. Move it around a little as possible to get it looking like a scruffy mass, do not over mix. (you can use hand to knead the dough lightly)
- Sprinkle over some flour, cover the bowl with cling film and pop it into the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until it's about 2-3 cm thick. With a 6cm round cutter, cut out circles. Brush the top of each scone with beaten egg and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden.
recipe adapted from here
- 55 克 蔓越莓干 （或其他干果 -杏铺干，蓝莓干，葡萄干都可以）
- 75 克 冷牛油
- 250 克 自发面粉 （我用250克普通面粉+3.5茶匙发粉）- 过筛
- 1 茶匙 发粉
- 15 克 原蔗金砂糖 （细砂糖也可以）
- 1/4 茶匙 盐
- 1 粒 香橙皮屑
- 1 个 大鸡蛋
- 2 汤匙 牛奶
- 1 个全鸡蛋，打撒刷表面
- 加入鸡蛋和牛奶，用刮刀把料混合在一起即可。加入浸泡好的蔓越莓干再混合均匀至成面团。 （可以用手搓匀但不要过度的揉捏，这样烤出来的司康饼才会松）。