Hojicha Cakes 焙茶蛋糕
These Hojicha cakes are soft and spongy with a hint of Hojicha fragrance. They’re great to serve with a cup of Hojicha tea to share these yummy cakes with your family at home. You may wonder what is Hojicha (焙じ茶). It’s actually a roasted green tea. The leaves will change to brown colour after being roasted, thereby emitting a refreshing fragrance of distinctive nutty earthy flavour. The Hojicha are blended into fine powder and it is ideal for making desserts, pastries, Latte or smoothies because of the deep roasted flavour and intense aroma. The process of roasting also lowers the amount of caffeine in the Hojicha hence it’s good and healthy for children and the elderly to consume this either as a drink ~Hojicha Latte, dessert or in bakes.
Matcha source: Craft Tea Fox Uji Matcha and Uji Hojicha is air-flown directly from Uji, Japan – the Matcha capital of the world.
Thank you Craft Tea Fox for sending Uji Hojicha powder for us to try. We all love it!
These Hojicha cakes are soft and spongy with a hint of Hojicha fragrance. They're great to serve with a cup of Hojicha tea to share these yummy cakes with your family at home.
- 3 large eggs
- 60 g caster sugar
- 120 g cake flour/plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tbsp hojicha powder
- 50 ml fresh milk
- 30 ml corn oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven at 150 degrees C. Grease small muffin pan with butter or cooking spray and set aside. Combine cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and Uji hojicha powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix well fresh milk and corn oil together, then add honey and stir well again, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sugar at high speed till thick and fluffy, for about 5 minutes.
- Sieve flour mixture into egg batter in 2 portions. Fold gently until combined with a rubber spatula.
- Stir well the milk mixture again and then scoop some batter into it, mix well. Pour the milk mixture into the remaining batter and gently fold well with a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into the muffin pan to 90 percent full. Then bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Release the small cakes from muffin pan once it is out of the oven.
Calories: 30kcalCarbohydrates: 2gProtein: 1gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 138mgPotassium: 1mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2gVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 21mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe? I would love to see it!Mention @ann_journal or tag #ann_journal!
Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following >> Anncoo Journal!
焙茶蛋糕 Hojicha Cakes
- 3个 大鸡蛋
- 60克 细砂糖
- 120克 底筋面粉或中筋面粉
- 1茶匙 泡打粉
- 1茶匙 苏打粉
- 1.5茶匙 焙茶粉
- 50毫升 牛奶
- 30毫升 玉米油
- 1汤匙 蜂蜜
Can I use Houjicha Tea to bake cake instead of powder form? I only have packed Houjicha Tea.
Hi Anne, You can use Houjicha Tea bag but I’m not sure how many bags needed to bake in the cake because I’ve never tried it before.
Ok thanks. Ann mo
They look soft and tender…great for tea time!
I’ve never heard of this tea before, it’s an eye opener. The cuppies do look good!