This Hurricane Swiss Roll Cake has been very popular in Facebook baking groups and Instagram recently. When I first saw this beautiful roll cake that my baking friend Doris shared on Instagram, I was awestruck and told myself that I must try to bake this roll cake once I’m free.
I was happy with my first attempt at making this Hurricane Swiss Roll Cake with strawberry jam. So perfect to serve with a cup of coffee with friends and family. This is a moist, tender and delicious cake but it’s not so pretty on the surface. The recipe is actually a chiffon cake (Cherry Swiss Roll Cake) that I’d shared before and I believe there’s still some room for improvement to achieve a nice skin top which I think is to bake the cake for a few more minutes.
Hurricane Swiss Roll Cake
- 4 egg yolks about 65g each with shell
- 70 g caster sugar
- 30 g fresh milk
- 30 g corn oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 70 g cake flour or plain flour sifted
- 1 tbsp valrhona cocoa powder mix with 1 tbsp hot water = cocoa paste
- 4 egg whites
- 50 g caster sugar
- Preheat oven at 180 deg C. Line 10 x 10 inch baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix egg yolks, vanilla extract, sugar, cooking oil and fresh milk together with a hand whisk, mix well and add in sifted flour, mix well again. Divide egg yolk batter into two portions and blend the cocoa paste into one of the egg yolk batter.
- Meringue - Whisk egg whites to foamy and add sugar in 3-4 batches, continue to whisk egg white to glossy and peaks form.
- Gently fold half of the meringue to the egg yolk batter and cocoa batter with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the plain batter on lined pan. Then gently pour cocoa batter on top of the plain batter and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Draw lines closely for the entire pan top and down. to and fro (with a ladle handle or use your index finger), then repeat the lines vertically.
- Bake in preheated oven 180 deg for about 15 to 17 minutes.
- Remove baking baking paper immediately after baked and leave cake to cool on wire rack with a clean parchment paper below (chocolate side at the bottom).
- Trim off the sides of the cake and spread filling, then roll up the cake and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before slicing.
我也跟风做了最近在IG爆红的飓风蛋糕卷，第一做就出现了美丽的炫風 ~~ 开心 😀 有一点不够完美 。。。蛋糕上的表皮脱落了。但是蛋糕体质湿润有余，配上果酱真的很好吃！
- 4个 蛋黄
- 70克 细砂糖
- 30克 牛奶
- 30克 玉米油
- 1茶匙 香草香精
- 70克 低筋或中筋面粉
- 1汤匙 可可粉+1汤匙热水搅拌均匀
- 4个 蛋白
- 50克 细砂糖
- 随意 （我用了草莓果酱）
- 预热烤箱摄氏180度。准备1个10 x10寸正方型烤盘，底部铺纸。
- 蛋白霜 – 用电动打蛋器（低速度）把蛋白打致起泡泡，细砂糖分次加入，然后用中速度将蛋白打致硬性发泡。
- 送人预热烤箱摄氏180度烤约15 – 17分中左右。