This Matcha Swiss Roll is light and soft with a hint of matcha flavour. I didn’t use Azuki red bean paste as I find it expensive for a small can and also it’s too sweet to my liking. Instead I used kidney beans and boiled them with little water and sugar, and mashed them to form a paste. Have a try on this yummy roll cake. I can assure you that no one can tell the paste is made from kidney beans and homemade too! 🙂
- 40g plain flour
- 15g rice flour
- 2tsp matcha powder
- 40g butter
- 90g egg yolks, lightly beaten (about 5 egg yolks)
- 140g egg whites (about 4 eggs)
- 90g caster sugar
1 can kidney bean (400g), drain
- 50ml water
- 2 tbsp sugar
100g whip topping fresh cream
- Filling - Combine kidney beans, water and sugar together in a small pot. Bring to boil at medium heat and simmer at low heat for about 5 minute till kidney beans softened . Mash kidney beans with a spoon or rubber spatula or blend to smooth if you prefer. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C. Sift both flours and matcha powder together and set aside. Line a 8 x 12 inch rectangle cake pan with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a pot, keep warm and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites until foamy at low speed. Then add sugar in 3-4 batches and beat until egg whites are glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Add egg yolks in batches and fold lightly with a rubber spatula. Sift the flour the second time into the yolk mixture and fold gently, then add warm melted butter and fold through.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and spread evenly with a palette knife. Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- When cake is done, unmould from pan and leave to cool.
- Place matcha sponge cake on a plastic sheet or parchment paper, cake surface facing up (with a dry cloth placing beneath the plastic sheet to prevent slip while rolling the cake).
- Whisk fresh cream to peak form and spread on to sponge cake followed by the mashed kidney bean paste on top.
- Gently roll up the matcha sponge cake to make a Swiss roll and chill it for a few hours or overnight.
- Trim the sides of the cake roll and dust with icing sugar or snow powder on top of cake before serving.
- 40克 低筋/中筋面粉
- 15克 粘米粉
- 2茶匙 抹茶粉
- 40克 牛油
- 140克 蛋白（约4粒）
- 90克 蛋黄，打散（约5粒）
- 1小罐 芸豆. 400克 （沥干水分）
- 50毫升 水
- 2汤匙 细糖
- 100克 植物性鲜奶油
- 馅料 – 将芸豆，糖和水放入小锅中，用中火煮沸，然后转入小火焖煮5分钟至芸豆变软。用汤匙或刮刀把芸豆压烂成泥或喜欢的话可以用打碎器搅滑，备用。
- 预热烤箱致200摄氏度。将粉类和抹茶粉一起过筛备用。准备1个8 x12寸长方型烤盘，底部铺纸。