Mee Sua Kueh 面线糕
This savoury Mee Sua Kueh (wheat vermicelli cake) is so easy to make at home compared to the steamed radish cake, as it doesn’t need much preparation. No flour is required as the mee sua is already starchy after boiling with chicken stock and a few other ingredients. Then just steam the cake for about 20 minutes. I didn’t even add ground meat as I prefer to make it quick and simple. Not even garnishing with fried shallots or cut spring onion (lazy me!). The finished product is quite similar to radish cake and it is very tasty and fragrant, with bouncy bites. This savoury snack can be served after steamed or pan fried to crisp. Then dip with chilli sauce and enjoy. Leftovers can be wrapped in cling wrap and chilled for a few days in the refrigerator. Definitely a perfect snack (dim sum) for the whole family to enjoy at home.
Mee Sua Kueh can be served after steamed 面线糕蒸了切片吃也不错
Mee Sua Kueh
- 300 g mee sua - 1 box
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 shallot - chopped finely
- 3 clove garlic - chopped finely
- 10 g dried shrimp - soak with 50g water for 10 minutes
- 100 g carrot - skinned and grated
- 100 g pumpkin - skinned and grated
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- dash of pepper - I added more
- 600 ml chicken stock - plus 100ml water
- 1/2 tsp salt - optional
- Chopped the dried shrimps finely and reserve the water. Spread out or break up the mee sua loosely and set aside.
- Heat pan with oil and drop in the shallot, garlic and dried shrimp and stir fry for about 2 minutes till aromatic.
- Add grated carrot and pumpkin, sesame oil and white pepper and fry the mixture for 3 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock, water together with the dried shrimp water and bring to a boil. Then lower heat, drop in the mee sua. Toss the mixture well and turn on medium heat again. Mix and stir-fry the mixture well till mee sua softened and a little sticky, about 2-3 minutes. May add a little more water and adjust salt to taste if you find the mee sua is not evenly softened.
- Grease a 8 inch square cake pan with oil, then transfer the cooked mee sua into it. Use the back of a large spoon to flatten the mee sua mixture evenly.
- Then place it in a steamer under boiling water (high heat) and steam for about 20 minutes
- Let it cool to slightly warm (about 20 minutes) before removing (invert pan and gently knock the pan) the mee sua kueh out of the pan.
- Mee Sua Kueh can be cut into required size and serve immediately or lightly pan fry the kueh till golden brown and crisp on both sides if preferred. Best to serve with chilli sauce.
- 300克 面线 （1盒）
- 3汤匙 食油
- 2粒 红葱头碎
- 3粒 蒜头碎
- 10克 虾米+50克 水，浸泡10分钟
- 100克 胡萝卜，削皮刨丝
- 100克 南瓜, 削皮刨丝
- 1汤匙 麻油
- 胡椒粉， 适量 (我多加)
- 600毫升 鸡汤 + 100毫升 水
- 1/2盐 （可不放）
- 让面线糕待凉（微温）约20分钟才脱模 （倒扣摸子轻轻的敲出面线糕）。
for a minute I though a cake until I saw the vermicilli. very interesting recipe. sounds delicious too.