Portuguese Egg Tarts which originated from Portugal is also a famous sweet treat in Macau Chinese Cafes. The tarts are buttery with a flaky, crispy pastry and a blistered custard top and it’s a must eat for visitors whenever they’re in Macau. It’s quite easy to make these yummy tarts but is quite challenging if you want to make your own puff pastry at home. So an easy way out, I ‘cheated’ with ready made store bought frozen puff pastry. You can prepare the pastry in the tart moulds and store them in the chiller 1-2 days ahead or in the freezer, so that you can use them as and when you like. Mixing the custard is really easy with just a few minutes of stirring. Then strain the egg liquid 2-3 times through a sieve for a smooth yummy custard and bake for about 25-30 minutes to golden. So perfect to serve these yummy egg tarts at any time of the day.
Portuguese Egg Tarts
- 1 packed frozen puff pastry - thaw pastry in chiller for a few hour before use, only need 3 large sheets
- 18 g egg yolk
- 1 whole egg - 55g without shell
- 40 g caster sugar
- 120 ml fresh milk
- 120 ml dairy whipping cream
- Dust some flour on table top. Stack 3 puff pastry together and roll them into log. Then cut with a sharp knife into 11 pieces round disc.
- Then place the round disc into tart mould or aluminium foil cup. Press pastry disc into bottom (thinner) and up sides (these step can be done 1-2 days ahead and keep chill in the refrigerator or make more and keep them in the freezer. Then prepare the egg liquid and pour into tart moulds and bake them in the oven straight away).
- Blend milk, whipping cream and sugar together till sugar dissolved and add in eggs, gently stir well. Then strain egg liquid 2-3 times through a sieve.
- Pour egg liquid into tart moulds to about 80 percent full and bake in preheated oven at 210 degrees C for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or cool.
葡式蛋挞 Portuguese Egg Tarts
葡式蛋挞是一种小型的奶油酥皮奶油塔，焦黑的表面为其特征。去过澳门的朋友一定也不会错过，买几个来品尝。在家也能做出这个快速简单皮酥外香的甜点 ~ 一人两个很快就吃完了！
- 3片 冷冻酥皮，（放在冷藏室解冻数小时-只需3片）
- 18克 蛋黄
- 55克 全蛋 （不含蛋壳）
- 120毫升 牛奶
- 120毫升 动物性谈奶油
- 放入挞摸捏成挞摸（或锡纸杯）的形状，底部尽量捏薄一点，备用。（这步骤可预先做好、放入冰箱冷藏1-2天或多做一点收进冷冻室， 随时可取出不须解冻，倒入蛋水就可以烤了）