These Pumpkin snowskin mooncakes are another healthy and low sugar mooncakes that I made over the weekend for the coming Mooncake Festival (Mid Autimn Festival). This time around I tried the dough skin recipe from No-Frills Recipes, steam the flours and mix with gao fen (cooked glutinous rice flour). I made my own gao fen (glutinuous rice flour) this year, simply pan fry the glutinous rice flour for about 2 minutes and I used vegetable oil instead of shortening. As for the green natural colour for the dough skin, I used matcha powder. The dough skin is soft and it doesn’t stick to the mould at all. The pumpkin filling is also easy to make, and it is very smooth and not too sweet. Overall, these Pumpkin snowskin mooncakes are delicious and they stay soft for at least 5 days, chilled. Definitely a keeper recipe!
Happy Mooncake Festival to all my readers and loved ones!
Pumpkin Snowskin Mooncakes
Dough skin - 10 pieces
- 65 g kao fun - (cooked glutinous rice flour)
- 18 g wheat starch
- 18 g cake flour or Hong Kong flour - sifted
- 60 g icing sugar - sifted
- 25 g vegetable oil - I used corn oil or crico shortening
- 75 g water
- 1/2 tbsp matcha powder
Pumpkin filling - 15 pieces
- 350 g pumpkin - without skin
- 20 g caster sugar
- 15 g wheat starch
- Filling - Cut pumpkin to pieces and steam for about 20 minutes to soft and mash hot pumpkin with a fork.
- Place mashed pumpkin and sugar in a non stick frying pan (without adding oil), fry at medium low heat until sugar melted (about a minute). Then sprinkle wheat starch over it and fry mixture until almost dries up (about 3 minutes). Then place hot pumpkin mixture into blender and blend it smooth.
- Leave pumpkin filling to cool and chill in the refrigerator for an hour or till next day. As the pumpkin filling is quite soft, put on a pair of plastic hand gloves and roll it into small balls,25g each. Then place the pumpkin balls back to the fridge.
- Fry (85g) glutinuous rice flour in dry pan for two minutes under low heat and leave to cool (weigh 65g after cooling).
- Mix cake flour and wheat starch together, steam for 3 mins., remove from steamer, let cool. Sift the steamed flour and mix with 65g gao fen (step 4).
- In a small pot, boil water, icing sugar and corn oil and pour this hot liquid into the flour mixture, mix with spatula. Knead dough to smooth and sift in matcha powder and knead well again, wrap with clingwrap and let sit for 30 mins.
- Divide dough into 10 round balls, 23g each. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough between to two plastic sheets and wrap in the pumpkin filling. Gently press it into mould and stamp out.
- Keep the snowskin mooncakes in a container with a piece of kitchen paper on top. Keep chilled before serving. The moonies can stay soft up to 5 days.
- 65克 糕粉 （炒熟的糯米粉）
- 18克 澄麵粉
- 18克 底筋面粉或水仙面粉 （过筛）
- 60克 糖粉（过筛）
- 25克 食油 （我用栗米油）或白油也可以
- 75克 水
- 1/2汤匙 抹茶粉
- 馅料： （可做15粒）
- 350克 南瓜
- 20克 细砂糖
- 30克 澄麵粉
- 馅料 – 南瓜切块状，蒸约20分钟至软。趁热将南瓜压烂（用叉子）。
- 小月饼放入盒子，盖上厨房纸纸才盖上盖，收进冰箱冷藏3小时即可享用 （可冷藏5天饮用）