Red Bean Mochi (sticky rice balls) is one of the popular snacks in Hong Kong, named nuo mi ci 糯米糍 in Cantonese. It’s quite similar to Japanese Daifuku mochi, a sticky rice ball filled with red bean paste. Anyway, is your choice of adding any filling you prefer. This Red Bean Mochi is soft and chewy, and it is best eaten within one day. Definitely a perfect snack (dim sum) for the whole family to enjoy at home. You’ll find the red bean mochi a little chewier but not that soft if they are kept in an airtight container at room temperature for a day.
If you’re new to my blog and would like to receive new post update and never miss a recipe, please subscribe with your email address at follow.it (the subscribe box is at the sidebar or click at the following >> Anncoo Journal below the recipe). ~~ Thank you!
Red Bean Mochi
- 125 g glutinous rice flour
- 35 g corn starch
- 30 g icing sugar - sifted
- 30 g corn oil
- 200 g fresh milk or water
- 375 g red bean paste
- In a bowl add glutinous rice flour, cornstarch, icing sugar together and stir well.
- Pour in corn oil and fresh milk. Stir well mixture till lump free and strain mixture into a greased (corn oil) steaming plate.
- Cover plate with cling warp and prick some holes with a skewer to release hot air.
- Place plate inside steamer under boiling water and steam at high heat for about 30 minutes.
- To check whether the dough is cooked by poking the center with a chopstick making sure the center is not raw or wet.
- Grease some oil in a plastic bag and place hot dough inside. Then knead hot dough to and forth for about 8 - 10 minutes till becomes soft and smooth texture, set aside to cool.
- Divide red bean paste into 15 portions, 25 grams each and roll into balls.
- Divide dough into 15 round balls, about 25 grams each. Flatten the dough with a scraper and wrap in red bean paste. Then coat with desiccated coconut. Enjoy! Best eaten within one day.
- Wear a pair of disposable plastic gloves and place a plastic sheet on the tabletop to handle the sticky dough.
- You'll find the red bean mochi a little chewier but not that soft if they are kept in an airtight container at room temperature for a day. Best eaten within one day.
糯米糍 Red Bean Mochi
- 125克 糯米粉
- 35克 玉米淀粉
- 30克 糖粉，过筛
- 30克 玉米油
- 200克 牛奶或清水
- 375克 红豆馅