This delicious Shortcrust Mooncake is crisp and a little crumbly when served after baking. It’s an East and West fusion, using the pastry dough meant for making pies and tarts but wrapped with mooncake paste filling. The shortcrust pastry goes very well with the red bean paste or with any of your favourite mooncake paste fillings. It’s very easy to make this shortcrust mooncake without adding alkaline water or extra flour for dusting and is not oily. The pastry dough needs to be chilled in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes and baking time is relatively short, about 15 minutes. The mooncake is moulded inside a muffin pan and using a mooncake flower imprint to stamp out the pattern on the pastry dough. This mooncake can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for a week and the texture will become softer after a day. Definitely a delicious treat to enjoy for the coming Mid-Autumn Festival (you may like to check on more of my mooncake recipes from here).
If you’re new to my blog and would like to receive new post update and never miss a recipe, please subscribe with your email address at follow.it (the subscribe box is at the sidebar or click at the following >> Anncoo Journal below the recipe). ~~ Thank you!
- 50 g icing sugar - sifted
- 40 g butter - soft to touch
- 25 g sugar syrup or golden syrup
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten - 55g with shell
- 170 g cake flour or plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 220 g red bean paste
- 1 egg yolk plus 2 tsp water, mix well - egg wash
- In a bowl, mix icing sugar, butter and sugar syrup together to combined. Add beaten egg and mix well.
- Sift plain flour and baking powder directly to egg mixture and fold well with a rubber spatula. Then knead to smooth dough and wrap with cling wrap. Place dough inside the refrigerator to chill for 20-30 minutes.
- Divide red bean paste in 10 portions at 22 grams each. Shape them into balls and set aside. Grease muffin with soft butter and set aside.
- Divide pastry dough into 10 equal portions about 32 grams each and shape them into balls. Then wrap in red bean paste, roll into smooth round ball.
- Then place the dough ball in muffin pan and gently press it down. Use a mooncake flower imprint and press it directly on the dough surface to stamp out pattern.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 10 minutes. Then take out muffin pan from oven and egg wash each mooncake with a soft brush. Return muffin pan to the oven and continue to bake for another 5 minutes.
- Rest mooncakes in muffin pan for 10 minutes and over turn pan to remove the mooncakes. Leave mooncakes to cool on wire rack.
- Please keep in mind that all oven temperatures and baking time varies.
- This mooncake can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for a week and the texture will become softer after a day.
蛋月烧月饼 Shortcrust Mooncake
- 50克 糖粉，过筛
- 40克 牛油，稍软
- 25克 糖浆或黄金糖浆
- 1个 鸡蛋 （55克带壳），打撒
- 170克 底筋面粉或中筋面粉
- 1/2茶匙 泡打粉
- 220克 红豆沙
- 1粒 蛋黄+2茶匙水，拌匀刷面