Smiling Sesame Cookie Balls or Laughing Balls 开口笑 (literally means open mouth and laugh) are a popular Chinese snack especially during the Chinese New Year. The traditional way of making these cookie balls are deep fried that causes the dough ball crack open resembling a smile or a laugh. However, this recipe is a bake version for healthy eating and it’s so easy to make these mini cookies in a relatively short time. The fragrant nutty aroma smiling sesame cookie balls are crusty and savoury and can be even stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
If you’re new to my blog and would like to receive new post update and never miss a recipe, please subscribe with your email address at follow.it (the subscribe box is at the sidebar or click at the following >> Anncoo Journal below the recipe). ~~ Thank you!
Smiling Sesame Cookie Balls
- 1 egg - 60g with shell
- 30 g corn oil
- 35 g icing sugar - sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 115 g cake flour or plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder - about 3g
- white sesame seeds for coating - used toasted sesame seeds, available at the bakery supply shop.
- In a bowl, add egg, oil and icing sugar together and stir thoroughly well.
- Sieve in flour, baking powder and salt, fold mixture with a rubber spatula. Then knead to form a soft dough till not sticky to hand. Add some flour if dough is sticky.
- Divide dough into small balls, about 10-12 grams each (makes 20 pieces). Then coat evenly with white sesame seeds and roll it into round ball again.
- Place sesame balls on baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in preheated oven (middle rack) at 170 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or till golden brown.
- Leave cookie balls to cool down completely and store in an airtight container.
- 1个 全蛋 60克带壳
- 30克 玉米油
- 35克 糖粉，过筛
- 1/2茶匙 盐
- 115克 底筋面粉或中筋面粉
- 1茶匙 泡打粉 （约3克）
- 白芝麻 （用烤过的白芝麻，烘焙店买得到）