Water Chestnut Cake is one of the popular cakes made during Chinese New Year in Hong Kong and it’s also available in the Guangzhou Chinese dim sum restaurants all year round (too bad this delicious water chestnut cake is not available in most of our local Chinese restaurants nowadays). They are usually served either steamed or pan fried. The cake is soft, springy and not too sweet but one can still have wonderful crispy and crunchy bites of the water chestnuts, even after the cake has been steamed. Slab sugar (片糖）is also used to give the cake a nice golden colour but rock sugar or brown sugar can be replaced if slab sugar is not available at your nearby grocery store. The cake can be kept in the refrigerator to chill for 3 to 4 days and it’s best to cut the cake with a wet knife, dipped in some water as the cake can be quite sticky. You may like to read the benefits of water chestnut from here
Soft, springy and delicious pan fried water chestnut cake
中文食谱 ~ 请往下看
Water Chestnut Cake
- 115 g water chestnut flour
- 250 ml water - 1 cup
- 500 ml water - 2 cups
- 125 g rock sugar
- 1 tbsp dried osmanthu flower - optional
- 4 fresh water chestnuts - peeled and crushed to pieces
- Soak water chestnut flour and 250ml water together, stir well and set aside for later use.
- In a pot, boil 500ml water with sugar together until sugar dissolved. Add dried osmanthus water and bring to a boil again. Turn off heat and cover pot with lid for 10 minutes. Remove some dried osmanthus flowers with a fine sieve.
- strain water chestnut liquid (step 1 ) through a fine sieve.
- Bring osmanthus liquid to boil again, pour in the chopped water chestnut and stir well. Lower heat and pour water chestnut water slowly into the pot. Stir the mixture as you pour until mixture thickened. Stirring the mixture constantly to prevent the batter sticks at the bottom.
- Grease pan (7 x 5 inches) with little oil and pour chestnut paste into it. Steam at high fire for about 25 minutes until cake turns translucent or test it with a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave water chestnut cake to cool before removing it from pan.
- Slice the water chestnut cake with a wet knife, serve immediately or chilled. Alternately pan fry the cake till golden brown on both sides with cooking oil if preferred.
recipe adapted from here
I chilled the water chestnut cake till next day before cutting.
- 115克 马蹄粉
- 250毫升 清水 （1杯）
- 500毫升 清水 （2杯）
- 125克 黄水晶冰糖
- 1汤匙 桂花干 （可不放）
- 4粒 新鲜马蹄，削皮剁碎或拍碎
- 将马蹄粉浆过滤 （步骤1）备用。
- 在一个小盘（7 x 5 寸）里抹上少许食油。然后倒入马蹄面糊状，抹平。放入已烧开蒸锅里，用大火蒸约25分钟至马蹄糕变透明或用牙签扎入糕内部，拔出没有粘糊，就表示熟了。