Winter melon soup is often served on the table in many Chinese households. This very nutritious and mild sweet soup is very easy to prepare at home without much fuss and perfect for hot weather. You can find many recipes for winter melon soup online. For this recipe, I used pork ribs (you can use fresh chicken carcass) and only added some dried scallop and salt to enhance the flavour. You may choose to add red dates or honey dates for a better flavour.
Winter Melon Soup
- 500 g pork ribs
- 700 g winter melon Chinese dong gua
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 pieces dried scallop
- 1600 ml water
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- Blanch pork ribs in boiling water for one minute to remove impurities, rinse and drain.
- Chop winter melon to chunk sizes (remove rind and seeds).
- Place pork ribs, ginger slices, dried scallop, winter melon and water into pot. Bring water to boil and simmer at low heat for about an hour till pork is tender and winter melon becomes translucent.
- Lastly add goji berries and some salt to taste, stir well and simmer for another ten minutes. Serve immediately.
- 500克 排骨
- 700克 冬瓜
- 3片 姜片
- 2粒 干贝 （温水浸泡10分钟）
- 1500毫升 水
- 1汤匙 枸杞子