Chinese spinach (xian cai 苋菜) with eggs is a popular “soupy stir fry” dish found in Malaysia and Singapore. It’s a delicious healthy dish with a distinctive flavour of eggs, namely salted egg, century egg and the normal egg and a slight bitter taste from the Chinese spinach. This is a very simple and easy dish to prepare at home and it can be done within 15 minutes and is perfect for a small family. If you are not a fan of salted and century eggs, you can add fish balls or fish slices/fish cakes instead.
Chinese Spinach with Eggs
- 250 g Chinese spinach
- 3 clove garlic
- 150 ml chicken broth - Swanson brand
- 250 ml water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 hard boil salted egg - cut to cubes
- 1/2 century egg - cut to cubes
- 1 small egg - lightly beaten
- 1/2 tbsp goji berries - rinse well
- dash of pepper
- Rinse the Chinese spinach under running water and pluck the leaves off the stem.
- Add little oil to hot pan and fry garlic to aromatic. Then pour in chicken stock and water with sugar and sesame oil, bring to boil. Drop in Chinese spinach and stir well to boil again till leaves soften, followed by salted egg and century egg, covered and simmer at medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Lastly stream in the beaten egg and give a quick stir (you may salt to taste at this stage). Add goji berries, stir well again and off heat, add a dash of pepper and serve immediately.
三色蛋苋菜 Chinese Spinach with Eggs
皮蛋和鸡蛋及蔬菜融合在一起, 口味独特! 是一道非常易煮又健康的家常菜。
- 250克 苋菜
- 3粒 蒜头
- 150毫升 鸡汤
- 200毫升 清水
- 1茶匙 白糖
- 1/2茶匙 麻油
- 1粒 咸蛋，切粒状
- 1/2粒 皮蛋 切粒状
- 1粒 小鸡蛋，打撒
- 1/2汤匙 枸杞，冲洗净