This small round ball shape Korean Mochi Bread looks cute (some called them Dino eggs) is crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. The recipe is different from the Chocolate Mochi Balls that I posted some time ago. That was simple with a quick mixing of the ingredients whereas this Korean Mochi Bread needs to light boil the butter, milk and bread flour together before adding in the tapioca flour and egg. You don’t need to add in the whole egg but little by little until the soft dough mixture gets to the right consistency by achieving a ‘V’ shape drop when lifting up the spatula. Fill the soft dough into a piping bag and pipe out to about a 4 cm dome. Dip your finger with little water and dap on the tips of each dough to flatten a little. Piping out the dough will hold the shape properly as it will puff up into a nice round ball with airy pockets after baking. Baking time is about 20-25 minutes and it is best to be eaten fresh from the oven. The bread is still very chewy after being cooled but you may re-toast it for a few minutes in the oven for a crusty bite. I used matcha powder to bring out the matcha fragrance with black sesame seeds but you can use chocolate chips, cocoa powder or even cheese powder, all to your personal preference.
Korean Mochi Bread
- 30 g bread flour
- 1/2 tbsp matcha powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150 ml milk
- 25 g caster sugar
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 120 g tapioca flour (starch)
- 65 g egg without shell lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp black sesame seed
- Sieve bread flour and matcha together, set aside.
- Pour milk into a bowl, then add in bread flour and matcha powder, stir well. Add sugar and salt, stir well again and strain.
- Melt butter at low heat. Then pour in milk mixture (step 2). At medium heat, stir mixture till almost boiled and starting to thicken to a soft dough. Off heat.
- Pour in tapioca flour in 2 batches and blend well with a rubber spatula to smooth texture and leave to cool down for a few minutes.
- Add beaten egg a little at the time, Mix till egg liquid all absorbed in the dough mixture before adding the next. When you see the soft dough form a 'V' drop when lifting up the spatula, then it is done. (the total amount of egg will depend how much the flour been absorb. I used about 60g egg liquid **the mini bread will not puff up if too much egg is added). Lastly add black sesame seeds and mix well.
- Pour the soft dough into piping bag and pipe out like a dome shape (about 4cm) on baking tray lined with parchment paper ( make18 pieces). Dip your finger with water and flatten the tip to make a smooth top.
- Bake in preheated oven at 190 degrees C for about 20-25 minutes till crisp.
- can use chocolate chips, cocoa powder or even cheese powder, all to your personal preference.
- Please keep in mind that all oven temperatures and baking time varies
- 30克 高筋面粉
- 1/2汤匙 抹茶粉
- 1/4茶匙 盐
- 150毫升 牛奶
- 25克 细砂糖
- 30克 无含盐牛油
- 120克 木薯粉
- 65克 鸡蛋（ 不带壳），打撒
- 1汤匙 黑芝麻
- 鸡蛋液分次加入，蛋液一定要完全吸收才继续加入蛋液，再拌匀至刮刀捞起面糊呈现三角状态即可。**蛋液不用加到完，要看粉类吸收量。我用了大约60克。蛋液加了太多的话，面包烤的时候就很难膨胀** 最后倒入黑芝麻，拌匀即可。