Matcha Sponge Cakes 抹茶海绵小蛋糕
Of late, I have seen many bakers using the new brownie pan to make beautiful bakes on Facebook which prompted me to get one too. Last month I spotted this brownie pan at Sunlik while I was getting some ingredients to make mooncakes and without a second thought I happily brought it home. I used this brownie pan to bake Matcha Sponge Cakes. I tweaked this recipe from my Fluffy Sponge Cupcakes and added matcha powder and honey. The cake is spongy, light and soft with a hint of matcha fragrance and comes out nicely after baked. Really saves time at serving. Anyway you can bake this in a muffin pan with the cupcake liners (step by step method here) if you don’t have the brownie pan.
Great for tea break! 😀
Matcha Sponge Cakes
- 4 large egg
- 85 g caster sugar
- 140 g cake flour/plain flour
- 1/2 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g butter
- 50 g fresh milk
- 1.5 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In a bowl, combine cake flour, matcha powder and baking powder together.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sugar at high speed for 5 minutes until double volume. Lower to speed one and whisk for 30 seconds to get rid of some air bubbles. To test it, you can write a letter "O" on the surface of egg batter and it should stay there for a few seconds then you have the right consistency.
- Transfer the egg batter to a large bowl. Sieve flours in 2 batches and fold gently well with a rubber spatula in each addition. Do not over mix or you will deflate the batter.
- Melt the butter and milk together at low heat. When you see the butter almost melted, remove from heat. Do not boil the mixture and stir well, then add honey, stir well again.
- Scoop some batter into the melted butter mixture and mix well. Then pour the butter mixture into the remaining batter and gently fold well with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the brownie pan and spread evenly, then gently drop the pan on table top twice to knock out air bubbles, then place in the divider.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or skewer inserted into cake comes out dry.
- 抹茶海绵小蛋糕 Matcha Sponge Cake
- 4个 大鸡蛋
- 85克 细砂糖
- 140克 底筋面粉或中筋面粉
- 1/2汤匙 抹茶粉
- 1茶匙 泡打粉
- 50克 牛油
- 50克 牛奶
- 1.5汤匙 蜂蜜
- 预热烤箱至摄氏180度。 将面粉，抹茶粉及泡打粉放入碗中，混合均匀。
- 把打好的蛋液倒入另一个大碗中，面粉分2次过筛入蛋液里，每一次都要用刮刀轻轻的翻拌均匀即可 （不要过度的搅拌，要不然蛋液就会泡消掉）。
- 用底火融化牛油和牛奶，看到牛油差不多要融掉了，就熄火 ，搅融牛油就可以了，然后加入蜂蜜，再拌匀即可。
- 很喜欢这新买的布朗尼烤盘带有方格摸，非常的方便。蛋糕烤出来很工整，就不须要用刀切开了。 烤盘是不沾盘的，所以不须要抹油或铺纸。
Tried baking this however, my cake doesnt rise as well as yours.
What could be the reason ?
I noticed bubbles with powder do surface after pouring batter into the baking tray.
Hi Sandy, you must whisk the eggs and sugar at the full speed to get a thick and double volume egg batter and not to start from low speed to high speed. This will makes the cake to rise at this stage.
When you said about the powder, it could be the matcha powder. The matcha powder will not melts completely even when you make it into tea. There is always some air bubbles after whisking like chiffon cake. You can tap the pan on table top next time to release the air bubbles the next time when you bake this again.
Thank you for your reply. I will definitely try to bake again.
Lovely sponge cakes. Must try your recipe!
Thank you Cheah!
What a stunning sponge cake! I too love this practical baking pan. Need to get myself one too.