One of the famous popular street food snacks in Taiwan is Oyster Mee Sua ( Orh Ah Mee Sua 蚵仔面线) which is also one of my favourites. Besides fried chicken cutlet and smelly tofu and this is a must to eat whenever I’m in Taiwan. It is a bowl of mee sua (wheat vermicelli) cooked in gooey yet smooth thickened soup and serve with juicy, plump oysters, pork intestine and I love their added homemade chilli sauce.
As I’m craving for a bowl of this savoury and sour (with more black vinegar) Oyster Mee Sua, I cooked a cheat meal for yesterday’s lunch with store bought chicken broth and frozen oyster meat. Other ingredients are readily available on my pantry and in less than 30 minutes a bowl of delicious piping hot one dish meal Oyster Mee Sua is ready to serve on the table.
Oyster Mee Sua
- 90 g mee sua (wheat vermicelli) - 3 small bundles
- 700 ml chicken broth - Swanon brand
- 300 ml water
- 1/2 tbsp Hua Tiao Chiew - Chinese cooking wine
- 3/4 tbsp sweet potato starch+1.5 tbsp water - mix well the solution
- 300 g frozen oyster meat
- 1 tbsp sweet potato starch - for coating
- fried shallot
- coriander leaves
- black vinegar - to taste
- dash of pepper
- Thaw the whole bag of frozen oyster meat in a bowl of water for about 5 minutes to soften. Then remove oyster meat from the bag and rinse a few times and drain well. Then coat oyster meat with potato starch.
- Blanch the coated oyster meat in boiling water for a few seconds, strain and soak in cold water for oyster meat to cool down, about 1 minutes. Then drain well and set aside.
- In a pot bring the chicken broth and water to boil. Add cooking wine, stir well (may add salt to taste at this stage - I didn't add).
- Drop in the mee sua and cook for a few minutes until softened. Snip the mee sua roughly with a pair of scissors to shorten the strand and slowly drizzle in the potato starch solution to thicken the soup to your desired consistency.
- Serve mee sua immediately with cooked oyster meat on top, few drops of black vinegar and garnish with fried shallot and coriander leaves with a dash of pepper.
- 90克 面线 （3小束）
- 700毫升 鸡汤
- 300毫升 水
- 1/2汤匙 花调酒
- 3/4汤匙 翻薯粉+1.5汤匙水 （混合均匀）
- 300克 冷冻生蚝
- 1汤匙 翻薯粉（要来裹上生蚝的）或生粉
- 将整包冷冻生蚝放入一盆水里解冻约5分钟，然后取出生蚝冲洗几次，沥干水分。然后裹上 翻薯粉。