These red velvet cupcakes are tangy, citrusy and delicious with the cheese frosting. Mixing the cheese frosting is a breeze, just cream it for a couple of minutes and then pipe it out on top of the cake. This cake is a foolproof recipe adapted from Mrs. Ng’s fluffy and buttery butter cake and I had used her recipe many times. I’m a skeptical person when using food colouring is concerned and I’m sure that you would have noticed that I have always used very little colouring, in fact ‘as little as possible”. So for these cupcakes I used beetroot powder that I bought from Phoon Huat and I’m very happy that the cakes turned out well, in a very pretty colour. They look so impressive to serve them to our guests at home.
Delicious and pretty red velvet cupcakes to impress your guest at home
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 120 g salted butter
- 70 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 100 g self-raising or cake flour with 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tbsp beetroot powder
- 30 ml fresh milk
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g cream cheese room temperature
- 125 g butter soft to touch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g icing sugar sifted
- Sift the self-raising flour and combine with beetroot powder and mix well, set aside.
- Beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest till light and creamy.
- Slowly add in the beaten eggs, until mixture incorporated, mix well. Add in lemon juice and vanilla extract, mix well.
- On low speed, fold in the flour, alternating with the milk. Mix till well incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into the 8 cupcake liners in the muffin pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg.C for about 25 minutes, test with a skewer till it comes out clean. Leave cakes to cool before frosting.
- Combine all ingredients except icing sugar in mixing bowl and beat until well combined. Then add in the icing sugar and beat to smooth.
- Spoon cream mixture into piping bag fitted with nozzle tip #826 and pipe over the tops of the cakes. Serve immediately or chill the cupcakes in the refrigerator and thaw for about 30 minutes before serving.
- 120克 含盐牛油
- 70克 细砂糖
- 2个 大鸡蛋，打撒
- 100克 自发面粉或低筋面粉+1/2茶匙泡打粉
- 1.5汤匙 红菜头粉
- 30毫升 牛奶
- 1粒 柠檬皮屑
- 1汤匙 柠檬汁
- 1茶匙 香草香精
- 250克 乳酪奶油 ，温室
- 125克 软牛油（含盐），不要十分软
- 1/2茶匙 香草香精
- 1.5汤匙 柠檬汁
- 100克 糖粉，过筛
- 乳酪奶油霜 – 除了糖粉将所有材料搅打至混合均衡，然后加入糖粉搅打至光滑即可。