Turmeric powder or kunyit (in Indonesian) is an inexpensive spice~is use for it’s fragrance and also gives a yellow coloring. It is usually used in curries, curry powder and Nasi Briyani (Indian cooked rice).
500g Cold cooked rice (1.5 cups uncooked rice)
2 tbsp Chopped garlic
200-300g Prawns – remove shells, clean and cut into 3 section, season with salt and pepper
3 Eggs – beaten and add 1 tsp soy sauce and a dash of pepper
3 tbsp Soy sauce
1/2 tbsp Turmeric powder
1-2 stalk Spring onion – cut finely
- Heat enough oil in wok, add beaten eggs and swirl around the wok until just cooked and use the frying spade to cut the eggs into small pieces. Dish up and set aside.
- Add about 1 tbsp or a little more oil in wok and fry garlic till aromatic then add prawns till cooked.
- Put all the rice in it, continue to stir fry well with the garlic and prawns and add 3 tbsp soy sauce in it – mix well.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder on rice and mix well and add in cooked eggs.
- Off fire then add a dash of pepper and spring onion on rice, mix well and serve hot immediately.
- This is a simple fried rice, just keep frying and it can be done within 10 mins!